Wed, 13 Jan 2021 - 12:06 GMT
FILE PHOTO: A woman wears a protective face mask, following the outbreak of the new coronavirus, in Kuwait, February 25, 2020. REUTERS/Stephanie McGehee/File Photo
CAIRO - 13 January 2020: The Health Ministry reported in a statement on Tuesday that 970 new coronavirus cases were detected, upping the total number of confirmed cases to 151,723.
Spokesman for the Health Ministry Khaled Megahed said 55 patients have died from the virus over the past 24 hours, raising the death toll to 8,304.
As many as 423 patients were discharged from isolation hospitals after receiving necessary medical care, taking the number of recovered cases to 119,635 so far, the spokesman said.
On Saturday, Jan. 9, Deputy health minister in Qalyubia governorate Hamdy Al-Tabbakh has died of the novel virus, the ministry said.
“Egypt has lost today one of the Health Ministry’s faithful leaders, who had served his homeland with full sincerity and dedication to work,” the ministry cited Minister Hala Zayed as saying.