Libyan authorities announce freeing abused Egyptians, arresting kidnappers

BY

Wed, 17 Jun 2020 - 07:25 GMT

Central security support force carry weapons during the security deployment in the Tajura neighborhood, east of Tripoli, Libya January 14, 2020 - Reuters

Central security support force carry weapons during the security deployment in the Tajura neighborhood, east of Tripoli, Libya January 14, 2020 - Reuters

CAIRO – 15 June 2020: The Libyan authorities on Wednesday said it freed a group of Egyptian workers in Tarhunah, southeast of the capital Tripoli, who have been kidnapped and humiliated by militias that are believed to be allied to the Government of National Accord, which Egypt does not back.

This comes as Spokesperson of the Libyan National Army (LNA) Ahmed al-Mesmary stated on June 15 that 19-22 Egyptian workers were kidnapped from Tarhouna by Al-Hazm militia and are held in Misrata.

A video was circulated on social media showing a group of Egyptians who stand with their hands raised, as a form of punishment and humiliation, and forced to chant against Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi. Egyptian Parliament and Immigration Ministry have promised a strong response.

In a statement, the Interior Ministry of the Government of National Accord in Libya said it could detect the place where the Egyptian expats were held and define the identity of those involved in the incident and arrest them.

The ministry said it would refer the perpetrators to the Attorney General’s office.

The ministry could also the identity all the freed Egyptian citizens, the statement read, adding that they are all fine and free and are doing their work normally. Their statements would be heard soon, in order to ensure their legal rights in the case.

“The Ministry of Interior affirms that the historical relations tying the Libyan and Egyptian people cannot be undermined by individual actions that do not represent the Libyan state or the customs and values of the Libyan people,” the statement read.

“Political differences among nations cannot in any way affect love and brotherhood between the Libyan and Egyptian peoples.”



Earlier in June, Sisi announced Cairo's plan for a ceasefire in Libya, beginning June 8, after a tripartite meeting with the commander of the Libyan National Army (LNA) Khalifa Haftar and Speaker of Libyan Parliament Aguila Saleh.

Sisi said that the political initiative, also known as the “Cairo Declaration”, would pave the way for a return to normal life in Libya. President Sisi warned against using military tactics to resolve the crisis.

A political solution is the only way to resolve the crisis in Libya, Sisi said, adding that Libya's security is a pillar for Egypt's security.

All Libyan parties have been asked to partake in the ceasefire, al-Sisi said, adding that LNA Chief Haftar and the eastern parliament head Aguila Saleh are committed to protecting the Libyan people’s best interests.

Under the guidelines of the ceasefire, all foreign fighters must withdraw from Libya, he added.

Comments

0

Leave a Comment

Be Social