‘Tahya Misr’: New Egyptian order to honor victims of wars, terror attacks
The double-layered order will be granted by the president to nominees approved by the prime minister. Civilian nominees will be sought by the minister of social solidarity, while nominees of the police and army will be picked by the ministers of interior and defense respectively.
The new order consists of six stars; the first three are white, referring to the Egyptian revolutions in 1952, 2011 and 2013, while the next three stars are red, to refer to the country’s wars in 1956, 1967 and 1973.
The latest of these dates mark the June 30 revolution in 2013, when millions of Egyptians took to streets in massive demonstrations, calling for a regime change. Few days later, Sisi, then defense minister, announced ousting President Mohamed Morsi, meeting the revolution’s top demand, by ending the Muslim Brotherhood's year-long rule.
Morsi, 67, died in June this year, from heart attack, according to preliminary medical assessment.
CAIRO - 30 June 2019: President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi said that the June 30 revolution in 2013 was"one of the greatest days of our modern history," praising Egyptians for rising to preserve their authentic Egyptian identity. Egypt Today is displaying parts of the president's speech.
Sisi in August last year has directed the authorities concerned to set in motion the working mechanisms of a national fund for honoring victims of terrorist attacks and their families, state’s news agency MENA reported.
Sisi gave his directive during a meeting with chairman of the fund's board of directors Maj. Gen. El Said El Ghali.
The president's directive comes in appreciation of the great sacrifices offered by national heroes to protect fellow citizens and deal with national security challenges, Presidential Spokesman Bassam Rady said.
This also comes amid a surge in terrorist attacks on the country, which started since the ousting of Morsi, including attacks on churches, a mosque and security checkpoints. Since then, dozens of military and police personnel and civilians lost their lives.
Since February 2018, the Egyptian Army has launched a comprehensive offensive against terrorist elements and facilities in various parts of the country, especially in North Sinai.