4 cups kunafa dough
4 tbs butter or ghee, melted
1.5 cups water
1.5 cups + 4 tbs caster sugar
4 cups whole milk
4 tbs custard powder
4 drops mango extract (optional)
3 ripe mangos, diced
2 tbs icing sugar (optional)
1. In a pot over medium heat mix melted butter or ghee with kunafa dough until golden and shiny. Remove from the heat, set aside and let cool completely.
2. Mix the water with 1 1/2 cups of sugar in a pot and bring to the boil for about eight minutes, set aside.
3. Mix the custard powder with the milk and 4 tbs of sugar in another pot and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let simmer. Add the mango extract, if using, and let thicken. Cover and let cool completely.
4. Mix the mango with the icing sugar. You can skip this if the mango is already sweet.
5. To assemble, layer the pastry in your parfait cups and drizzle with 2 tbs of syrup. Add the custard and dollop on your mangos. Repeat until you fill the cups. Serve chilled.
*Recipe from Assia Othman, author of assiakitchen.com