CAIRO – 9 December 2021: The Islamic Antiquities Sector of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, in cooperation with the American Research Center, completed the installation of a canopy to protect the ancient frescoes on the walls of the Red Monastery Church in Sohag Governorate.
Head of the Islamic, Coptic and Jewish Antiquities Sector at the Supreme Council of Antiquities Osama Talaat explained that the American Research Center has prepared the necessary studies to install the canopy by determining the direction of rain and sunlight.
This is to ensure the preservation of the ancient frescoes in the monastery and the protection of its colors from various erosion factors, while placing the canopy in a position that does not disrupt the visitors’ view of the monastery.
Talaat pointed out that the studies related to the canopy took about a year, while its installation was completed within a month.
It should be noted that the Red Monastery is registered among the Islamic and Coptic monuments by Ministerial Resolution No. 10357 of 1951.
The Red Monastery was constructed at the beginning of the 4th century AD by Anba Beshay in western Sohag. It is considered one of the most important monasteries built in early Christian times.
The Red Monastery was built using red bricks, hence its name, in addition to limestone and granite columns. The monastery is also distinguished by the presence of frescoes of saints and crosses in the nave of the church, executed in the tempera style.