Thu, 03 Sep 2020 - 03:46 GMT
Thu, 03 Sep 2020 - 03:46 GMT
Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry (R) meets with Josep Borrell, the European Union’s high representative for foreign affairs – Press photo
CAIRO – 3 September 2020: Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry on Thursday affirmed Egypt’s support to ceasefire in Libya, the formation of a new presidential council and a fair distribution of wealth, as he met with Josep Borrell, the European Union’s high representative for foreign affairs.
This comes two weeks after the presidential council and the House of Representatives, conflicting parties, issued statements to announce ceasefire and a halt of all military operations in all Libyan territories.
As hundreds of people have been killed in continuous battles between the conflicting factions in Libya; the Libyan National Army led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar and the Parliament in the east and the Government of National Accord led by Fayez Al-Sarraj and its forces in the west, Sisi in June announced an initiative calling for ceasefire.
As he met with Borrell during the latter’s visit to Cairo, Shoukry highlighted the Jufra-Sirte “red line” Egypt has earlier set in order for ceasefire to be implemented in Libya and hostile activities to stop in the country.
The Egyptian minister affirmed Egypt’s fixed stance and vision on backing the peaceful settlement in Libya, within the framework of the international consensus to resolve the Libyan crisis through the principles of the Berlin Conference held on Libya earlier this year.
Shoukry said Egypt would continue to coordinate with international partners to achieve this vision and called on the international community to show seriousness and exert further efforts to help activate this vision in Libya.
CAIRO - 3 September 2020: President Abdel Fattah El Sisi reiterated Egypt's unchangeable stance on supporting a political solution in Libya, away from foreign intervention and armed militias, as he received on Thursday Josep Borrell, the European Union's high representative for foreign affairs, the Egyptian Presidency said.
Sisi in August welcomed a cease-fire initiative declared by Libyan Speaker of the House of Representatives Aguila Saleh and head of the Presidency Council Fayez Al-Sarraj, as a way for the departure of all mercenaries in Libya.
"I welcome all statements issued by the Presidential Council and the House of Representatives in Libya to reach a ceasefire and stop military operations in all Libyan territories, as this is an important step on the road to achieving a political settlement and the aspirations of the Libyan people to restore stability and prosperity in Libya," Sisi tweeted.
For further details about Egyptian efforts to resolve the crisis in Libya, you can read:
CAIRO - 20 July 2020: The Egyptian House of Representatives has authorized President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi to "take necessary measures" to protect national security, giving a green light for the president to send troops to Libya. This came in a closed Monday session on protecting the Egyptian and Libyan national security against terror threats.