Egypt’s National Election Authority announced on Sunday that it had accepted 762 candidates for the Senate elections which will take place next month - Photo compiled by Egypt Today
CAIRO – 22 July 2020: The Egyptian National Election Authority has issued a set of regulations and mechanisms for candidates running for Senate elections.
Egypt’s National Election Authority announced on Sunday that it had accepted 762 candidates for the Senate elections which will take place next month.
The names of the accepted candidates will be published in the state-owned newspapers Al-Akhbar and Al-Gomhouria, he added.
The names of the candidates for each governorate will also be published in local court buildings for three days.
Senate elections are set to take place 11-12 August, with Egyptians abroad scheduled to cast their ballots 9-10 August.
The mechanisms and rules set by the election authority include:
• Propaganda begins on July 26, the same day that the final list of candidates is announced
• Electoral advertising lasts for 14 days
• Election silence begins on Saturday August 8 at 12:00 PM
• Gatherings, meetings and electoral conferences are banned due to COVID-19
• Candidates are obliged to open bank accounts in the local currency as specified by the authority
• The account shall be deposited with all the donations received and the funds set for the campaign
• The bank and the candidates must notify the National Election Authority of what is deposited in their accounts and cash sources
• The candidates shall notify the authority of the expenditures for their account
• The candidates shall submit a full bank statement of their accounts to the National Election Authority within 15 days of the announcement of the result
• Each candidate is obliged to maintain a regular record in accordance with the Egyptian Accounting Standards to record funding sources and the expenses of his electoral campaign
• The body entrusted by the authority shall review the electoral advertising accounts of the candidates under its supervision