Fri, 17 Jul 2020 - 11:03 GMT
Fri, 17 Jul 2020 - 11:03 GMT
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan speaks during a news conference with GNA’s Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj in Ankara, June 4. (Reuters)
CAIRO – 17 July 2020: The United States Department of State affirmed its firm stance on Libya rejecting all forms of foreign interference. It also told Saudi Al-Arabiya that Turkey has barged in to Libya and is currently preparing for an attack on Sirte.
This comes shortly after Libyan tribal chiefs called on Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah El Sisi to send the army to Libya in case an attack was carried out on Sirte. Sisi affirmed that Egypt will not allow the Jufra-Sirte line to be crossed.
The State Department called for respecting the UN arms embargo on Libya and returning to the path of the Berlin Conference.
It added that the US has asked all factions in Libya to stop fueling the conflict.
Libya is suffering a severe division between two factions; the Libyan Parliament and the Libyan National Army (LNA) led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar in the east and the Government of National Accord (GNA), led by Fayez Al-Sarraj. The latter is internationally recognized but is not accepted by the Parliament.
Hundreds were killed in continuous battles between the LNA and the forces of the GNA, over the past year.
In his Thursday meeting with tribal leaders, President Sisi said one of the parties to the Libyan conflict (apparently referring to the GNA) fell under control of a foreign power and lacked the political will to apply ceasefire. This foreign power (apparently referring to Turkey) uses this faction for certain purposes in the region, regardless of the Libyan national interest, he added.
Late in June, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the US is “still hopeful” for a political solution to the crisis in Libya, Al-Arabiya reported.
CAIRO - 21 June 2020: The United States Department of State said Saturday that it supports the Egyptian efforts to launch a political initiative led by the United Nations which includes all the warring parties in Libya, according to Al Arabiya.
Earlier in July, US Ambassador to Egypt Jonathan Cohen said to Al-Qahera Al-Aan program on Al Hadath that the United States opposes any foreign intervention in Libya and urges respecting ceasefire and the United Nations arms embargo.
Asked about the US position on Libya, Cohen said the US urges concerned parties to re-engage in political talks to bring a solution to the Libyan crisis under the UN auspices.
Concerning steps that the US has taken to help resolve the crisis, Cohen said the US is engaged in very active diplomacy and that US President Donald Trump and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had conversations during the past few days with Egyptian President Sisi and Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry about Libya.
“So, we will continue to engage and use the tools that we have. We also have a very active ambassador to Libya who meets with all the parties in the Libyan constellation, and we're giving strong support to the UN mission, which right now is led by a former colleague of mine and former American diplomat, so I think our position on Libya is clear.”
For more details about the developments of the Egyptian stance on Libya, you can read:
'Egypt will not stand idly by': Here is what Sisi said about apparently imminent military intervention in Libya
CAIRO - 17 July 2020: Meeting with Libyan tribal chiefs on Thursday, who reportedly represented all Libyan people, Egypt's President Abdel Fattah El Sisi said what has been seen as a starting line for imminent military intervention in Libya, to fight "outlawed" elements and terrorist groups. He also set conditions and regulations.