Thu, 09 Jul 2020 - 08:42 GMT
Thu, 09 Jul 2020 - 08:42 GMT
CAIRO – 9 July 2020: Libya's National Army spokesperson Ahmed al-Mismary said that total number of mercenaries, Turkey transferred into Libya reached 17,000 terrorists, including 1,000 mercenaries were transferred only last week.
He added in statements to dmc privet channel, Thursday that Turkey dose not announce its military losses in Libya; However, the army is always ready to stop all Turkish attacks.
Mismary noted that western Sirte is still under control of the Libyan National Army, However, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan ‘is trying to escalate the situation in Libya by sending mercenaries, weapons and maritime vessels.
In another statement to Sada al-Balad channel, Thursday Mismary stressed that ‘Erdogan dreams by controlling over the Libyan oil will never happen.’
The United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres warned Wedesday that foreign interference in Libya’s war has reached “unprecedented levels”. He urged key players and their backers to unblock the political stalemate and agree to a cease-fire and peace talks.
Guterres described the situation in Libya as ‘gloomy’ according to AP, noting that between April 1 and June 30 there were at least 102 civilian deaths and 254 civilians wounded in Libya, “a 172% increase compared to the first quarter of 2020.”
In June 6, Egypt’s president Abdel Fatah al-Sisi announced ‘Cairo declaration’ to push for a ceasefire in the war-torn country. The initiative was widely welcomed as a step to end the political conflict.
During a phone call with president Sisi June 10, U.S. president Trump welcomed the Egyptian efforts aiming at achieving political stability for the Libyan crises and to end the violent acts along with meeting the Libyans’ wishes and demands to live in peace and stability, Presidency spokesperson Bassam Rady stated.
British Minister of State for the Middle East and North Africa James Cleverly said on Sunday that the UK welcomes efforts by Egypt to encourage eastern Libyan leaders to support a ceasefire, but this must have a UN backing.
In a press release, the British Embassy in Cairo said that the Libyan National Army and the Government of National Accord need to engage urgently in the UN’s 5+5 talks, adding that this is the only path to an inclusive solution for the Libyan crisis.
Meanwhile, the Russian Embassy in Cairo welcomed efforts aimed at settling the conflict in Libya.
In a statement, the embassy said that the Egypt-led initiative is a step towards a comprehensive solution to the Libyan crisis that aims to achieve an immediate ceasefire, disband armed militias and pull foreign fighters out of the Libyan territory.
“We welcome all efforts aimed at settling the conflict and restoring peace in all the Libyan territory.”
Italy’s Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte on June 7 also hailed the Cairo Declaration on the Libyan crisis, saying it is consistent with the relevant international efforts.
Also, during a phone call with Sisi, Putin praised the Cairo Declaration as well as its timing and framework, which presents an integrated and constructive proposal to settle the crisis, and establishes Egypt's role as a basic pillar of security and stability in the Middle East.
On Tuesday, Field Marshal KhalifaHaftar, the general commander of the Libyan National Army (LNA), said that they ‘will not concede the departure of the Turkish invaders and their mercenaries from Libya’
Haftar added that Turkish aggression threatened the unity of Libya and the stability of the region, explaining that Turkey and terrorism threaten the Libyan sovereignty.
In an interview with Sky News Arabia, Haftar paid tribute to Arab countries, particularly the United Arab Emirates and Egypt, for their categorical rejection of Turkey’s intervention.
He added that “Our war against Turkey will not stop until we liberate all of Libya”.