FILE – Press members carrying respirator masks – Engin Akyurt/Pixabay
CAIRO – 28 May 2020: Nine members of the Egyptian Press Syndicate have tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) since March 24th, the head of the syndicate said, including two deaths.
Four members have recovered from the novel virus, including a case that had been quarantined at home, Head of the Syndicate Diaa Rashwan said.
The remaining three members are being treated now, including one who receives treatment at home, while others are being treated at specialized hospitals.
Rashwan said the syndicate responded to all the nine cases immediately after they called the syndicate and took all the required medical procedures toward them, including examination and treatment, in cooperation with the Health Ministry officials and other relevant institutions.
The syndicate, on May 18th, mourned the death of one of its members after contracting coronavirus, as Egypt has reported 910 coronavirus cases on Wednesday, its highest daily rise so far.
Mohiey El-Din Saeed, who worked at the El-Kawmiah Distribution Company of the state’s National Press Foundation, had suffered from kidney failure and had received dialysis three times a week for many years, a statement by Ayman Abdel Maguid, a top official at the syndicate said.
On May 12, Saeed headed to the Galaa Hospital, Cairo, which is affiliated to the Armed Forces, to receive dialysis. Undergoing preventive measures, his temperature was found to be higher than normal, the statement said.
Saeed was then transferred to the Abbasia Fever Hospital, placed in the intensive care unit and was found to be positive to coronavirus. His health condition has deteriorated until he passed away this afternoon, according to the statement.
Journalist Mahmoud Riad Abujabal, the head of Sports desk at EL Khamis online portal, died from coronavirus late in April. He is the first journalist of the Syndicate’s members to die of the virus in Egypt. Three weeks ago, he and his family tested positive for the novel virus and were quarantined in al-Agoza hospital, in Giza.
The Egyptian Health Ministry in its daily briefing on Wednesday said 910 people have tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) in Egypt over the last 24 hours, bringing the total number of cases to 19,666.
The ministry also reported 19 deaths due to the novel virus, upping the total number to 816.
Also, the test results of 5,798 people turned from positive to negative, the ministry said, including 5,205 people who totally recovered. It added that 178 patients left hospitals.