FILE - Minister of Health Hala Zayed - Courtesy of the Health Ministry
CAIRO – 25 March 2020: Egyptian Health Minister Hala Zayed confirmed 40 new coronavirus (Covid-19) cases between Tuesday 7 p.m. and Wednesday 2 p.m., bringing the total number of cases to 442.
The death toll rose to 21 people after one fatality was confirmed, Zayed said in a press conference, along with Minister of State for Information Osama Heikal.
The results of a total of 113 cases so far have turned out to negative, Zayed said, including 93 persons who totally recovered.
This is one of, if not the largest daily increase in coronavirus cases in Egypt until now, according to the official tally, which took place in less than 24 hours.
Egypt's goal is to reduce the number of infections and control the spread of the virus, Zayed said, adding that the recent government decisions aimed at reducing the number of daily cases. She also warned that states would not be able to face coronavirus, despite their capabilities, in case of the outbreak.
Egyptian Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly, in a press conference on Tuesday, announced a dusk-to-dawn curfew between 7:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. for 15 days, in a bid to prevent large gatherings and movement of citizens, unless absolutely necessary.
CAIRO - 24 March 2020: Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly held a press conference on Tuesday to announce a bunch of strict protective measures taken in the face of the coronavirus pandemic starting Wednesday for 15 days.