People wearing protective masks walk at the Nanjing Road in Shanghai, China January 29, 2020. REUTERS/Aly Song
CAIRO – 31 January 2020: Italy and Britain each confirmed two cases of the new coronavirus, which have killed dozens of people in China where it emerged.
Italy’s Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte on Thursday said two Chinese visitors who arrived in Rome a couple of days ago were found infected with the deadly virus. He affirmed that the two cases have been isolated.
Like many countries, Conte announced suspending flights between Italy and China in an effort to prevent the spread of the virus.
In Britain, Chris Whitty, Britain’s chief medical officer, said the country spotted two members of the same family infected with the virus, which emerged in December last year in China’s Wuhan city, in the central province of Hubei.
“The N.H.S. is extremely well prepared and used to managing infections,” Whitty said. “We are already working rapidly to identify any contacts the patients had, to prevent further spread.”
Alphabet Inc's Google is temporarily shutting down all its offices in China due to the outbreak of a new coronavirus in the country, technology website The Verge reported on Wednesday.
The shutdown includes all offices in mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan, according to the report.
The flu-like virus has killed over 130 people in China and has set-off alarm across the globe with companies closing stores, putting travel restrictions on employees and warning of a financial hit from slowing business in the world's most populous country.
Reuters contributed to the reporting