Chocked patient archive photo
CAIRO – 26 November 2019: After 55 students and 11 teachers choked after inhaling Nitric acid emitted from the state-owned Egyptian Chemical Industries factory (KIMA) in Aswan,the Ministry of Public Business Sector shut down the Nitric acid unit of the factory on Monday, according to a statement from the ministry.
The oxygen percentage at the unit decreased on Monday morning, and the wind carried the acid particles towards the inhabited city of Aswan, causing cases of choking among the civilians, the statement added.
The ministry has ordered solving the technical problem, which led to increasing the Nitric acid emissions into the air immediately, the statement said.
The company is preparing a study to build a new unit in accordance with the international standards to replace the old one, the statement added.