Iran-backed Houthis commit 41 violations within 24 hours

BY

Sun, 10 Mar 2019 - 11:27 GMT

Tribesmen loyal to the Houthi movement hold up their rifles as they shout slogans during a pro-Houthi tribal gathering in a rural area near Sanaa. (File photo: Reuters)

Tribesmen loyal to the Houthi movement hold up their rifles as they shout slogans during a pro-Houthi tribal gathering in a rural area near Sanaa. (File photo: Reuters)

The Saudi-led Arab Coalition fighting in Yemen announced Saturday that the Houthi militia has committed as many as 41 violations within 24 hours since the cease-fire agreement reached in Hudaydah.


The statement came only hours after the Iranian-backed militia threatened to escalate the situation in Hudaydah as the group has intensified attacks against government troops and Arab Coalition soldiers east and south of the city.


Houthi Defense Minister Mohamed al-Atefi has warned legitimate Yemeni forces that the militia is ready and possesses strong deterrent, defensive, and offensive options.”


Observers in Yemen assume that militias lately received new types of missiles from Iran.


Tehran has been accused of providing weapons, supplies and missiles to its armed militias in Iraq, Yemen, and Lebanon.


They said Iranian weapons were smuggled to Hudaydah and the western Yemeni shores, where Houthis still control a large part of land overlooking the Red Sea, including the ports of Hudaydah, Saleef, and Ras Issa.


Meanwhile, Yemen’s Minister of Information Muammar al-Eryani posted on his twitter page a video record showing a large fire at the Thabet's Brothers factories east the city of Hodeidah, which is controlled by government forces. He said the fire was caused by Houthi bombs.


Last week, Chairman of Yemen’s High Relief Committee Abdel-Raqib Fatah accused the Houthi militia of planting mines and explosive devices around the United Nations (UN) food storages in the coastal province of Hudaydah.


He stressed that planting landmines near humanitarian aid was an unprecedented violation that no other group has ever committed.


He urged the UN and humanitarian agencies to condemn and take serious measures against this criminal act and to put an end to the malicious activates against humanitarian and relief work in Hudaydah and other “occupied” provinces.


Comments

0

Leave a Comment

Recommend Article

Be Social