FILE - Zamalek club logo
CAIRO – 14 November 2018: The Press Syndicate, led by Abdel Mohsen Salama, submitted Wednesday two memoranda to the Parliament Speaker Ali Abdel Aal, and the Minister of Youth and Sports regarding an assault on journalists before Zamalek club gates earlier in November.
In its memorandum to Abdel Aal, the Syndicate called for preventing the Zamalek Club’s administration from prohibiting the journalists and their families, who are members of the club from enjoying their membership rights guaranteed by laws and regulations.
It also demanded, in its memorandum to the Youth Minister Ashraf Sobhi, taking necessary procedures to guarantee the non-recurrence of similar behavior by the club’s administration in the future.
On November 10, the Press Syndicate's board decided in an urgent meeting to prohibit publishing the name or a photo of the Zamalek Club Chairman for a year, after a complaint was filed against him.
Moreover, it filed a complaint to Attorney-General Nabil Sadek on Monday against the club’s chairman after a number of journalists said they were prevented from entering the club and were assaulted by the club's security guards.
"We were clearly assaulted and humiliated before club members, workers and passers-by in front of the main club door," a statement by the journalists assaulted said.
A suggestion by the club's chairman to appear at the syndicate in order to resolve the crisis was rejected by the syndicate's board, said Salama, adding that further suggestions will be discussed by the board.
Zamalek Club chairman is a member in Egypt's House of Representatives. Many demands had been issued to the Parliament to lift the immunity off the controversial club's chairman, in order to allow investigating him. However, all demands were rejected by Parliament.
On October 20, the General Assembly of the Egyptian Olympic Committee decided to suspend the chairman of Zamalek club from practicing any sports activity for a two-year period.